Using Tools and Solving Problems

When creating my tripod, I used many different tools and equipment.  I used a slab roller to make my slab, I used a rolling pin, and I also used many tools in our tool box.  Serrated edge scraper, rubber rib, dowel, and I also used a fettling knife.  After I used each of these tools I made sure to wipe the extra clay off so it wouldn’t harden on the tool, and I put each tool back in it’s designated spot in the box.  When I was done working on my tripod, I wrapped it in its bag and stored it on our 7th period shelf to keep it from drying up when I’m still in progress.  I came across a couple problems when working on my tripod piece.  The first main problem was the cracking.  I had a crack go straight down the middle of my cylinder that I had made.  To solve this, I simply scored each side and added slip to reconnect it. By pushing both sides together and smoothing it out, I was able to fix this problem.  Another problem that occurred was when I was testing what would happen if I made a more skinny tripod.  There was no way I could smooth inside the form because of its narrowness.  To solve this problem I grabbed a dowel and was able to press the inside to smooth it out and help strengthen the connection between both sides of the slab.

This picture is what my tripod looked like after I reconnected the two sides from it cracking in half.  You can see there was still cracking on my piece.
This picture is what my tripod looked like after I reconnected the two sides from it cracking in half. You can see there was still cracking on my piece.
To keep there from being a tiny hole in my piece, I rolled a small clay ball and began smoothing it out.
This picture is of me using a dowel to press the inside of my narrow tripod.