What I’ve Learned

In the first couple of weeks I have spent time making bowls and stamps.  With making bowls I was reminded, after a long summer, how to utilize each tool when embellishing my work and how to use the equipment again such as the slab roller and pug mill.  When making stamps I realized that the ones the work the best are the ones with positive space.  Every time I used one with negative space, the imprint wasn’t very defined and the border of the stamp was also imprinted.  The one’s with positive space made more defined designs, and the border or base of the stamp was not on my piece after stamping.  I also noticed that the stamps that had positive space and were rounded had an even better outcome.  When making my stamps I made one of the rounded positive space stamps.  The rest of the stamps I made had positive space and handles to help the user stamp more easily.

In this picture I utilized the serrated edge scraper to attach a foot to the bowl, and a rubber rib to help smooth my bowl.