Blog Post #3

.

The craftsmanship of a ceramic artwork affects the meaning to the viewer.  If the bowl is a certain size, it may have a different use. Or with unique textures, colors, and the use of positive and negative space, it gives the artwork “personality”.  For example, when I made a pig bowl, I made it with very round features, making it have a cute and friendly face.  The bowls shape is obviously for eating soup, cereal, etc., making it a cute, fun bowl.  I determine the qualities to judge a ceramic artwork by paying close attention to the texture, wall thickness, certain unique characteristics, the symmetry, and colors used to make the bowl personalized.  When looking at the Bee Hive ceramic piece, I was able to evaluate it by acknowledging the even and symmetrical walls and noting the even texture followed throughout the entire piece.  Also, I judge if the piece is successful if the connections are strong and well connected.  For example the picture of the two walls being connected shows how after someone scores the two pieces, adding a small coil along will strengthen the connection making it more sturdy and would most likely last longer.unnamed

unnamed

url